Between busy lifestyles, families, and jobs, exercise bike appeal is still strong. Many stationary bikes can give you a great workout from the convenience of your home. You likely want something durable and versatile without completely breaking the bank.
What makes a quality indoor exercise bike?
Everyone’s exercise goals are different. Some look for comfortability, some may want to stay entertained with “smart” features, and some want a bike that will endure through the years. Regardless of what you’re looking for, there are some basics to look for to make sure you’re investing your money wisely:
- A heavy flywheel (at least 15 lbs) that feels fluid when you pedal with various amounts of resistance
- Magnetic resistance tends to be more durable than mechanical resistance- resistance that is typically controlled by a knob on the bike
- Seat adjustability (up and down is a must, while horizontal is a plus, but optional)
- Can support high amounts of weight
- Pieces are made of metal, not plastic
With all that being said, here’s our choice list of exercise bikes that are both loved by happy customers and well under $1,000:
While this bike is not exactly the most high-tech, it’s still built to last and keep up with the most avid indoor cycling enthusiasts.
- Large and heavy flywheel for stability
- Has an emergency break feature
- Easy assembly
- Fully adjustable seating
- No maintenance is required. It utilizes magnetism to create resistance.
- Can support up to 330 lbs of weight
- 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon!
Don’t be fooled by it’s price! YOSUDA’s indoor bike is made with quality and beginners in mind. It also features:
- Steel frame
- 35 lbs flywheel
- Max weight capacity is 270 lbs
- Mechanical resistance knob
- 4.4 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Many older adults prefer this bike to others due to its incredibly comfortable recumbent seat. This means that users can sit comfortably in a chair-like seat. There are many other stationary bikes worth checking out if recumbent sitting is an absolute must. It also features:
- 20 levels of resistance
- 22 workout programs
- Screen displays to keep track of your fitness progress
- 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon
With moving handlebars and the ability to self-power the bike yourself, this machine stands out from the rest. It has:
- Intuitive air resistance system that lets users get the right amount of resistance based on their physical capabilities
- Can hold up to 300 lbs
- Works best for high-intensity training
- 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon
At less than half of the cost of a Peloton bike, the Bowflex C6 actually proves itself a worthy competitor:
- 100 levels of resistance
- 40 lbs flywheel
- Capable of holding 330 lbs
- Bluetooth connectivity to check your heart rate on an LCD screen
- Fully adjustable seats and handlebars
- Water bottle and phone holders
- 4.7 out of 5 stars on the Bowflex website
With a little test workout, patience, and research, just know that the right exercise bike is out there for you! Remember to consider that you should be able to return your purchase if you’re not 100% satisfied.